When the desktop icons gets messed up, you probably don't need to reinstall the programs (or Windows!) - you just need to reset the iconcache file. It's a fairly easily process too - easier than reinstalling the applications.
- Close all Windows explorer windows that are open.
- Right click on task bar and choose Task Manager
- Switch to Processes tab and right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process and confirm.
- On File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
- Type CMD.EXE, click OK
- In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste these commands one by one, pressing Enter after each command:
- Back in Task Manager, go to File, select New Task (Run…)
- Type explorer.exe and press Enter.
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
Windows will rebuild the iconcache and all icons should look normal again.